The tension was stifling. Anger and fear simmered beneath the city’s surface as we waited, waited to see if the violence of weeks past would erupt once again. After the impeachment and imprisonment of the president here in Peru, the country that we love was left divided. Protestors set blockades on all major roads and highways, while many factories and stores were looted or set ablaze. Others, in protest of the protest, took to the streets, armed with their pots and pans to clamor for their voice. We were a nation divided and disenchanted, searching for something more.
In the midst of all the chaos, God continued to move. On December 17, over 600 children and adults joined us for our Christmas outreach event. Every single one of them was able to receive a clear presentation of the Gospel as well as an invitation to our church! The following day, during our Sunday services, we had thirty adult visitors who came as a result of this outreach event. What a praise! Thank you so much for praying with us for this event. In truth, we had been praying for 250 people, and as always, God provided so much more.
As many of you have read about Anthony’s story in recent prayer letters, I wanted to share some exciting news with you all. Recently, Anthony came and told me that he believes that God is calling him to do something more with his life. He preceded to tell me that he believes God is calling him into the ministry! What a joy it is to watch God take someone from unsaved to saved, baptized, discipled, and now God has given Anthony a desire to serve Him with his life! Please be praying for this young man as he has started his life-on-life discipleship with me and as he begins to learn more about ministry as our church’s first, official intern.
In the space of two weeks, I had nearly the same conversation with two different young men, Maximo and Alex. Their words and absence of hope have plagued me since. They both told me, “Mitch, there just has to be something more to this life!” They are right! There is so much more; however, without Christ, there is no hope, and there is no purpose. Until this point in their lives, both of these young men have been searching in all the wrong places to find what they have been looking for. Please be praying with me that Maximo and Alex will search for “something more,” that God would draw them to Himself, and that these two would come to know Him as their personal Saviour.
Your Missionaries to Peru,
Mitch, Jacqulyn, Landon, and Ryan McCormack
- Thank you so much for praying for our Christmas outreach event! We had over six hundred people come out to hear the Gospel and participate, and we had over thirty visitors attend the following Sunday service!
- We are so excited for how God is working in Anthony’s life about fulltime ministry. Anthony is now working as our first Church intern!
- Please be praying for the conflicts in our city and the surrounding southern cities.
- Please continue praying for our church’s transportation needs as we are now looking to buy a fifteen-passenger van to help further reach our community!
- Please be praying for Maximo and Alex to accept Christ as their Saviour.